Purina Equine Junior
NOW with Outlast® Gastric Support Supplement*
The promise and potential of a young horse is amazing to watch as it develops. Proper nutrition is particularly crucial during this period of rapid growth. That’s why Equine Junior® horse feed is formulated with 100% vitamins and minerals and high-quality hay included. With every feeding, you know your weanling or yearling is getting consistent and complete nutrition to support healthy growth and development for a lifetime of health and well-being.
Equine Junior® horse feed is formulated with Purina’s proprietary high-fat Amplify® nugget—a blend of vegetable oils, flaxseed and rice bran for an optimal fatty acid profile—to support development, shine and bloom.
Balanced for Healthy Growth
Optimal balance of protein, calories, vitamins & minerals to support proper growth
Formulated for Consistent Development
Built-in hay formulation addresses nutrient variability to support a smooth, steady growth curve
Purina® Amplify® High-Fat Nugget
A proprietary blend of vegetable oils, flax seed and rice bran for an optimal fatty acid profile to support development, shine and bloom
Outlast® Gastric Support
is scientifically shown to support gastric health and comfort and proper pH even through the stress of travel and competition
Highly Digestible Proteins
Contains key amino acids for proper development of muscle, bone, skin, hair and hooves
Balanced Energy Sources
Including fats, fibers and soluble carbohydrates to help support healthy growth
Contains high-quality hay, designed to replace hay or pasture in the growing horse’s diet
100% Vitamins and Minerals
Meets the specific nutritional needs of young horses*, including Calcium, Phosphorus, Copper, Zinc, Selenium and Vitamin E
* When fed as directed, with free-choice or added salt, based on Nutrient Requirementsof Horses. Sixth Revised Edition – 2007, published by the National Research Council
Acid Detergent Fiber (ADF) MAX 22.00 %
Neutral Detergent Fiber (NDF) MAX 38.00 %
Dietary Starch MAX 14.00 %
Phosphorus (P) MIN 0.55 %
Copper (Cu) MIN 60.00 PPM
Selenium (Se) MIN 0.30 PPM
Vitamin E MIN 150 IU/LB
RECOMMENDATIONS FOR THE GROWTH OF YOUR WEANLING
From birth to one year, the average weanling will increase in body weight six to seven times, building bone and muscle at an extremely rapid rate. To support this growth, young horses have increased vitamin, mineral, protein and energy needs. A lack or imbalance of proper nutrients will not support optimal growth or development. That’s why it is so important to give your weanling proper nutritional support from the start.
Hay and pasture: Controlling your weanling’s roughage intake is critical in its growing years. Hay and pasture vary considerably and can be inconsistent in digestibility and nutrient value. Of particular concern is potential deficit, excess or imbalance of minerals and vitamins.
Winter feeding: In the winter, the amount of feed may need to be increased by 10-15% to offset the increased calorie requirements of maintaining body condition.
FEEDING EQUINE JUNIOR® HORSE FEED WITHOUT FORAGE
Light Breeds - estimated mature weight of approximately 1,000 lbs
Large Breeds - estimated mature weight of approximately 1,500 lbs
* When fed as complete feed without forage.
Every horse is unique. That’s why the recommended feeding rates Purina suggests for Equine Junior® horse feed may need to be increased or decreased by up to 10-15% to keep your growing horse in optimal body condition.
A 6 lb meal of Equine Junior® Horse Feed supplies a full serving of Outlast® Supplement.
FEEDING EQUINE JUNIOR® HORSE FEED WITH FORAGE
Purina® Equine Junior® horse feed is designed to be fed as a complete feed because it’s formulated with high-quality roughage. If necessary, you may also feed with good-quality hay or pasture – up to a maximum of 5 lbs per day – to relieve boredom. When fed with hay, reduce about 1.0 lb of feed for each 1.5-2.0 lbs of hay offered. For best results, do not feed more than 1.0 lb of hay per 100 lbs of your horse’s body weight per day when feeding Purina® Equine Junior® horse feed.
Do not feed less than 0.6 lbs per 100 lbs body weight of Purina® Equine Junior® horse feed per day to meet minimum daily requirements of protein, vitamins and minerals.
Follow label directions: feeding added selenium at levels in excess of 0.3 ppm in the total diet is prohibited.
Wash hands after feeding/handling animals.
Not for human consumption. Wash feed/water containers regularly
1. Feeding rates will vary with size, age, temperament, health status, forage quality, climate and activity level. Feed at regular times, at least twice daily. Do not feed more than 0.8 lbs/100 lbs of body weight per meal when fed without forage or more than 0.5 lbs/100 lbs of body weight per meal when fed with forage . Do not feed free-choice. Prevent rapid eating by the horse of any feedstuff.
2. Reduce and/or delay feeding a horse which is hot, excited or showing pain, has fever or diarrhea. Consult your veterinarian if any problems arise.
3. Any feed changes should be made gradually over a period of 7 to 10 days. Changes in the rate of feeding should not exceed 1.0 lb per day for each horse.
4. Provide fresh, clean water at all times. Provide your horse with access to salt. Consult with your veterinarian regularly and maintain a routine dental, parasite control and health care program for your horse.